Some Pastors have skills in music while others don’t. This can be a significant issue, especially in a smaller congregation. The following are a few helps for any Pastor, but particularly for those over smaller congregations:
- “Exploring Worship” by Bob Sorge
- “The Heart of the Artist” by Rory Noland
- “The Thriving Artist” by Rory Noland
- “The Worshiping Artist” by Rory Noland
- “The Way of A Worshiper” by Buddy Owens
- “Desiring God” by John Piper
- “Leading Worship” by Paul Baloche
- “Modern Worship Series” by Paul Baloche
- “Face Down” Matt Redman (messages by Louie Giglio)
In smaller churches, there may be fewer musicians and singers. Those that are a part of the ministry may not be able to reproduce the “image” of professionally recorded worship events. (Remember that there is often dubbing and editing taking place with these video recordings). The wise Pastor will guard against unfair and unreasonable comparisons.
- www.praisecharts.com – affordable song charts and scores
- www.higherpraise.com – free chord charts
- www.praisecharts.com/live – teaching on worship/worship ministry
- www.leadworship.com – training resources
Clinicians: An important caution for the Pator who invites a guest to train the worship team: Make sure that the guest empowers the people. Anyone with exceptional skills can “wow” the team but may not enable them.
Conferences: One church where I had the privilege to serve sent 10 key individuals from its worship ministry to a conference. All expenses were paid by the church. It cost the church a great deal but the benefit was definitely worth it. The team spirit between the worship pastor, worship leaders, musicians, and singers was definitely strengthened.
A Final Word: The more a Pastor invests encouragement and affirmation in his team, the more he will see joyful, productive people in the worship ministry.
In addition, as help to any Pastor, we would be happy if you contacted us with any additional questions you may have. Our email is or visit us at our new and improved Contact Us page.